Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Arif my Friend"


Arif Kazi is my friend. He is from India. He is bright, he is funny, he is articulate and he just happens to be Muslim. His choice of religion is not a big deal and normally would not even be noteworthy, but I don't think I've ever known anyone who was Muslim... and after all my years on this earth (and the fact that there are approximately 800 million Muslims in this world) I think that's pretty amazing!

I love talking to him about his religion... the traditions, the origins and all the similarities to Catholicism and Judaism blow my mind! It is really interesting stuff!

Arif is animated about his beliefs and devote in his practice. He eats only "halal, which are foods seen as permissible according to Muslim dietary law (Sharia) and he attends the obligatory Jummah (Friday afternoon service). When prompted, he talks about his faith with passion and seems to enjoy playing the part of the "Ustadz" (teacher). He is going to bring me a Koran, written in English, so I can learn more.

Arif and I are from opposites ends of the earth. He's a male, I am a female. He was born in India I was born in the US. He is young... I am not. He is Muslim, I am spiritually open... Yet with all our differences, we are good friends. We like each other, we respect each other, we enjoy each others company and we like talking about the differences between us. We embrace the differences that we find in each other and oddly enough we do it easily. It seems like the most natural thing in the world to do.

What I don't understand is why it's so difficult for other people to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment